Easy Ways to Use Up That Zucchini
Fun Zucchini Ideas
Zucchini Cakes are one fun way to use this tender green squash; here are a few more ideas to try:
1. Zucchini Boats: Cut a zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds to form a long zucchini “boat.” Stuff the zucchini with your favorite cooked sausage mixture or rice mixture, top with grated Parmesan cheese, and bake in a 375° oven until the zucchini is cooked through and tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Zucchini Strip Mélange: Using a vegetable peeler, peel a zucchini and a large carrot into long strips. Pan steam the strips with chicken broth, butter, salt, pepper, and minced garlic until the zucchini and carrots are cooked through and tender. Top with minced fresh herbs. These strips make a colorful side dish.
3. Zucchini Spaghetti: Use a mandoline to slice zucchini into long, thin, spaghetti-like “noodles.” Simply julienne zucchini lengthwise until you reach the seeds, then turn the squash and slice the other side. Simmer strands in chicken broth with a little salt until tender; serve like noodles.
4. Chicken-Fried Zucchini Slices: Cut zucchini at an angle into 1-inch thick slices, then soak in buttermilk for 1 hour. Coat the slices in seasoned flour just like you would for fried chicken, then fry in 360° peanut oil until slices are golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Serve fried slices with your favorite dipping sauce.
5. Freeze for Later: If you want to make zucchini bread throughout the year, grate your in-season zucchini now and freeze it in resealable freezer bags for use at your convenience.
Interested in cooking? Need some supplies?
Check out some of the tools we like. All products featured on Cuisine at Home are independently selected by our editors; we may earn an affiliate commission from qualifying purchases through our links.