Baked Goods Lovers Should Try This Jelly Roll Recipe
Whether you want to make a decadent dessert for Thanksgiving or just want to have something sweet with your cup of coffee, jelly rolls are what you need. The combination of the flaky pastry, the sweet filling, and the frosting makes this dessert a winner.
Because of the light and airy texture, jelly rolls are often tricky to make. But don’t worry — we’ve got you covered. In this blog, we’ll tell you how to make these delicious treats from scratch without any hassle. We’ll also share some tips that’ll help ensure your jelly roll turns out just right every time. So, let’s get started!
To get the recipe right every time, you will need the following ingredients:
- Three-fourth cup of unsalted butter
- A cup of granulated sugar
- Four eggs
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Four cups of all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Two-thirds cup of jam or jelly
- Whipped cream
- A pinch of salt
And if you’re looking for something a little more exciting than plain buttercream frosting, then you’ll need some Nutella, chocolate chips, caramelized coconut flakes, and peanut butter. Just make sure you don’t overdo it on the extras so that your jelly roll stays light and airy.
Note: Not all products are created equal. A low-quality item can actually hinder the cooking process or change the taste of your finished product. So, be sure to buy high-quality versions whenever possible.
GATHER ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT
Here are some of the most important pieces of equipment you need for baking:
STEP-BY-STEP DIRECTIONS TO MAKE A DECADENT JELLY ROLL
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients and tools together, it’s time to get started on the actual recipe. Follow these simple instructions to make scrumptious jelly rolls right at home:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and grease it lightly with butter or cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy (about five minutes). Add eggs one at a time and mix them until fully incorporated.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add this mixture slowly into your batter until fully combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared jelly roll pan and spread evenly across the surface using a rubber spatula.
- Bake it for about 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the jelly roll pan from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Don’t forget to cover the top with a foil sheet; otherwise, the top layer will dry out.
- Once it has cooled down, peel off the foil sheet and spread it with homemade strawberry jam (or any other jam or jelly).
- Now it’s time to roll. You need to gently lift up the parchment paper and roll the cake into a log shape.
- Place it onto a serving dish or cutting board (it will be easier to cut if you do this). Slice into 10 to 12 even pieces using a sharp knife and sprinkle on some powdered sugar or top it off with cream frosting. Your jelly rolls are ready to serve!
A jelly roll is a great dessert and is sure to become your go-to choice to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can use this recipe to make other types of baked goods, including cinnamon rolls and cinnamon buns. Just substitute your favorite ingredients, such as peaches or raspberries instead of strawberries, and add some almond extract for an authentic taste that will leave you wanting more. And remember; when it comes to baking, there’s no one way to do it right. So feel free to experiment with different ingredients and fillings until you find a combination that’s perfect for your taste buds.